“Great things start from small beginnings.”
I’ve heard that before, and you probably have, too. That actually is from a Milo jingle. And yes, there’s truth in that very line.
In just about anything, the great started from the good, the good that was nurtured, painstakingly nourished to grow into something of considerable magnitude.
Never underestimate the power of small beginnings. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. We’ve heard them all before. Believe it or not, they apply to personal finance, too.
Once upon a time, one Philippine peso was equivalent to one U.S. dollar. But ever since then, the peso had lost its value multiple times, thanks to inflation. What can a peso buy nowadays? One bar of Chocnut? One piece of Maxx menthol candy maybe?
Not much, so to speak. Even kids, when given a peso as gift on their birthdays, wouldn’t be as grateful as kids of twenty years ago.
And yet, given this fact, there is still power in the peso. 100 pesos will only be 99 pesos if one peso short.
- The jeepney driver would probably attempt to kill you with nasty looks if you pay him one peso short of the actual fare.
- That text message your parents had been waiting for to let them know you’re safe and sound and on the way home will only cost you one peso.
- The beggar who didn’t have much to eat for the day would most probably reward you with a toothless smile if he were successful in prying a peso out of you.
I know it’s just one peso. Then again, it is wise to never underestimate the lowly peso. This inconsequential amount, once joined by other pesos, will one day grow into a force to reckon with.
The saving journey would take longer than one would hope to take, yes, but longer is always better than never. And less, when it comes to savings, is always better than zero.
Yes, it pays to never underestimate the power of small beginnings.
Latest posts by Maricel Rivera (see all)
- Creating a Working Environment in the Home - October 4, 2013
- Time Management is Life Management: When Life Gets Inundated by Time - June 16, 2013
- Speed Writing Is Not Rocket Science, Or Is It? - June 9, 2013